Coco Berkman's Blog

An Artist's Angst's and Inspirations

23 January 2012

Drying prints.

I'm working on a new reductive linoleum print and as usual, by the time I've gotten to laying down the 3rd or 4th color,  the ink starts to become "uncooperative".  More so  recently  because I'm working in a cold basement and the drying cycle between colors is much longer.  This has happened so often in the past and yet it always feels like a new problem to overcome.  Determined to have a more practical approach in my kit, rather than relying on luck, prayer and magic, I did an inquiry on my computer and happened upon Kellie Hame's blog, 
Kellie is a young and talented artist currently studying at the Tamarind Institute in New Mexico.
She is also a great chronicler of printmaking processes and her post on Reduction Linoleum Tips includes a precious list [with explanations] on ink modifiers.  I'm always hugely grateful when an artist is this generous with their research.  
Using advice honed from her own mistakes,  I was able to save my print.  I now know about Cobalt Dryer, [It's toxic; use sparingly!  2 drops into one batch of ink is enough.]  which really does speed up drying times of ink layers. Her praises for Daniel Smith's "Miracle Gel" are also spot on.




2 comments:

  1. Innovation at it's finest! I would have never thought to do that. Sure beats the cardboard flat file I made to keep my cats away. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that a small dehumidifier speeds the drying process up in the 'drying' area.

    Another weird but wonderful discovery was that a small cheap ioniser placed near my inking slab and run constantly will stop any dust settling onto the slab!

    ReplyDelete