Coco Berkman's Blog

An Artist's Angst's and Inspirations

26 February 2014

All The Faces

The KIngs Contemplate the Cosmos,2013 by Coco Berkman is a stark black and white linocut 17 " X 20" printed with crayon black oil based ink onto a sheet of 22" X 26" Magnani Pescia paper


Lately, every time I sit down to sketch, faces come out of my pencil. It's an effort for me to draw a landscape into the composition. All these people. Who are they? 
On a recent trip to New York City,  I found myself naturally drawn to looking at art works where expressions on faces drew me in. People and animals both. My boyfriend and I went to The Cloisters for the first time and then we went back a few days later. Then we went back yet again. I'd always heard how amazing this museum housing Renaissance Art was, and I'm amazed how long it took me to finally get around to going!
 I was richly rewarded  with the goldmine of fabulous faces in the art works in the Cloisters collection. Below are just some of the examples that inspired me.

http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/visit-the-cloister




Looking at these images affirms to me why I'm obsessed with faces. I suspect that it has to do with the expressions on faces. These facial expressions are an animated evidence of our humanity...all we get to experience in the experience of our lives. 
Confusion, Anger, Delight, Fear, Exasperation. Desperation, Joy, Madness, Ecstasy.



My delight in the works I discovered at The Cloisters has given me permission to follow the thread of my obsession with faces and their expressions..


"Taxi" Watercolor by Coco Berkman
"Family in Landscape"
Linoleum Print by Coco Berkman





No comments:

Post a Comment