Coco Berkman's Blog

An Artist's Angst's and Inspirations

31 May 2009

Drawing a poem

Last summer I approached John Ronan with the idea of creating some images 
inspired by his poetry.He was very receptive to the idea and invited me to choose 
the poems that appealed to me most. 
From the beginning of the project I determined not to ‘illustrate‘ the poems I’d 
chosen. I wanted my visual images to have a sense of the poetic and to come 
through my own experience, yet use the eloquence of Johns poetry to jump-start 
my imagination. 
I found myself most attracted to poems whose subject matter had a spark of 
whimsy at the same time dealing with issues of homesickness, aging and mortality. 
I quickly began to notice  by spending time reading his poetry that John is an 
extremely visual writer. He notices things. The things in the landscape that grab 
us... crows in trees guarding a road a few towns over , a view out a window on the 
space shuttle, young children looking at sculpture in a museum, a scene in a 
kitchen decades in the past. Those things you catch in the corner of your eye as 
you’re going through your list of daily errands and challenges. John notices these 
things that others pass over.  The people and animals and sounds, the sparks and 
the glimmers. 
He’s right there in the landscape. As observer.  You are standing there beside him 
and he’s pointing it all out to you. Well really he’s telling you, singing it in fact, as a 
poet will. By spending time reading these poems I can almost glimpse the 
processes he invokes in composing a poem and I reiterate to myself why I’d rather 
paint than write. 
While looking through my sketchbooks at images I was fond of, I began noticing 
many drawings that worked really well with the poems I’d picked out. I began to 
work  the drawings into prints for some of the poems. For others I used a more 
improvised method of painting. I’m pleased with the results and very grateful to 
John for giving a wide berth in the selection and interpretation of the eleven poems 
I’ve chosen to work with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment